While I love to eat, cooking isn’t something that I’ve perfected through the years. I can cook a little bit (thanks to online recipes) but there’s no better way to practice my skills than to put it into practice.
I am a huge fan of potatoes and when I was asked by Potatoes USA to do a bit of a challenge, I quickly decided to do it. To be perfectly honest, I am not accustomed to this type of potato. My family usually buys produce in the nearby wet market and, embarrassingly, I’ve only been there a couple of times, so shopping for this challenge was something that’s new to me.
Although the term “US Potatoes” can be a little daunting and can even be a bit intimidating, it’s not that hard to find. You can head to the nearby supermarket to grab one and it’s easy to spot, too! US potatoes are relatively huge and are almost always available at any leading groceries. While these potatoes do not come in cheap compared to its local counterpart, it’s also bigger than the usual so you still get what you’re paying for.
For this challenge, I’ve decided to put it a notch higher by creating a loaded baked potato without any help from an internet recipe. I just played around with what I know, and I’m so happy that it came out okay. US Potatoes are pretty versatile and you can use them in a variety of recipes. It works perfectly with recipes that require a whole potato (such as this recipe) since it’s relatively big and can hold the toppings pretty well.
My brother definitely loved it and ate the whole thing. I created a quick video about the process which you can find below:
Want to try it yourself? Here’s how I did it!
Jhanzey’s Loaded Baked Potato
- 2 US Potatoes (These are delicious and high-quality potatoes! It’s also relatively big so you have a lot to work with. Know more about them by clicking on this link.)
- Grated cheese (We didn’t use the fancy ones. We just went on and put our favorite store-bought cheese, Eden. Feel free to change it according to your preference!)
- A pinch of salt
- Olive Oil
For the chili con carne:
- 1/4 kg. Ground Beef
- Chili con Carne Powder (You can also opt to create your own by mixing different spices, of course. I’m just too much of an amateur to try that out.)
- Vegetable Oil
- Garlic – chopped
- Onions – chopped
- Beans (optional)
- Cook the chili con carne.
– Saute the ground beef in the high heat together with chopped garlic and onion.
– Put the chili con carne powder with 3 tbsp. of water. Mix and set aside.
– Once the meat is cooked, place the chili con carne solution. Wait until it boils. Set aside.
- On a medium sized pot, put water and add a pinch of salt. Place the potatoes and let it cook until it’s a little tender.
- Let the potatoes cool. Drizzle the potato with a little bit of olive oil. Add some salt and pepper.
- Scoop out the middle of the potato and put the chili con carne. Add cheese on top.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Once ready, place the potato in the oven until the cheese melts and the skin is golden brown.
I know it’s quite simple, but I really enjoyed making this easy dish! Let me know if you tried it out as well.
How about you? What are your favorite potato dishes? Share the recipe down below and I’d love to try and recreate them, too!
Visit the Potatoes USA Facebook page to learn more about US potatoes!
Disclosure: This post is created in collaboration with Potatoes USA.