How I Ended Up Traveling Alone

So. Quick catch up: a month ago, I rode a plane going to Ho Chi Minh City and spent 12 amazing days by myself, going to four different cities in 3 neighboring countries. It was definitely one of the most nerve-wracking and liberating moments of my life. This was my first ever solo trip and my first trip abroad — it was definitely overwhelming for a perpetually anxious person like myself. Armed with a backpack, a not so concrete itinerary, and a little bit of bravery, I soldiered on and started my journey.

n

During that trip, I have encountered a handful of people asking me the same questions:

n

n

1. Where is Mark? Have you broken up that’s why you decided to travel alone?
  2. n

3. How did your parents let you go on this adventure?
  4. n

5. How much money did you spend? And how can you afford such luxury?
  6. n

7. 12 days is a long time. Why visit four cities only when you can include Laos (or some other nearby place) in your itinerary?
  8. n

9. Aren’t you afraid?
  10. n

n

While these questions are quite common with friends and acquaintances, I realized that I never really thought about it before venturing on my trip. I was too occupied with work and was too excited that I didn’t even bother thinking about other things. It also puzzles me how I ended up on that journey, and despite being back for a while now, I still feel amazed at how I was able to pull it through. So yeah, how did I end up traveling by myself?

n

n<blockquote class=

Jhanzey

A 20-something wanderlust who dreams of seeing the world and making a change. She loves to take photographs and stuffing herself with food.

You may also like

35 Comments

• About Bae
    February 21, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Grabe, you’re so brave to be traveling alone. While it’s not an ultimate goal for me, I’m happy you were able to check this off your list. I’m sure you made a lot of memories while on that trip, most of which you’ll treasure forever. <3

February 21, 2017 at 7:24 pm

I definitely did! Hope I could do it again huhu ❤

• Da Dominguez
    February 21, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Wow. Definitely #goals! I’ve been wanting to travel solo, too, but I don’t think I’m brave enough to do it in a different country and I probably won’t convince my parents– ever! Haha. Maybe I’ll just start with local destinations. Baby steps, baby steps. But I’m really happy you took that leap! I agree with number 4. I’ve seen a lot of people backpacking in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos in a week for just 15k or something. Okay, that’s pretty impressive. But when I read the itinerary, it was very exhausting! They spent more time staying in airports or travelling via land than ACTUALLY seeing and experiencing the country itself. Anyway, I’m talking too much. Haha! I just wanna say I’m reaaaally happy and very proud of you and I hope I could pull that off soon! ❤️❤️❤️

xx, The Diary Queen

February 21, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Actually! Travel time is such a pain so I don’t recommend people to try to squeeze everything in just a couple of days. 🙂

you can do it to! And yes to baby steps. Try visiting nearby places just so you can get the feel of it!

February 21, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Good luck Da and thank you for dropping by!

• Augustin Ra
    February 21, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Wow! So brave to do such thing. I think I can also do that soon especially when I already have the means since I can wonder from place to place here in Bataan all alone and I can even eat in public alone which some people may think as a lonely thing to do but as an introverted individual, I just don’t mind especially it makes me happy that somehow I’m having my own me-time. I asked my mom if she’d allow me to go solo and well, the answer is a ‘NO’ since the danger but I totally understand since I’m still 19 and I guess maybe if I’m already working and earning my money, that decision would change. 🙂

February 22, 2017 at 10:54 pm

It definitely gets better after you graduate! Hang in there. 🙂 My parents are also very strict but eventually as I get older they start to loosen up a bit. Good luck, Augustin! If you need anyone to talk with, would definitely be here to listen.

• Bia
    February 21, 2017 at 11:28 pm

You are so lucky that you have conquered travelling alone. It’s really my dream to travel alone. And your itinerary is my goal as well because I’ve read many blogs about having that itinerary. Well, I should really start saving now so that I could cross this off my bucketlist..haay someday! 😀

February 28, 2017 at 1:29 am

Thanks Bia and I hope you get to do it too! It’s a whole lot of fun!!!

• Eena
    February 22, 2017 at 5:27 am

I think that’s awesome you travel alone – ain’t nothing wrong with that! No one to wait on and you get to visit places that you really want to see! I’m so jealous huhuhu

cabin twenty-four

February 22, 2017 at 10:39 pm

You should definitely try it at least once! It’s fun!

• mybeautycloud
    February 22, 2017 at 7:35 am

Travelling solo is definitely something I’ve been thinking about more and more of and I’d want to do it in the future but right now it’s not really in the cards for me. Props to you though! Sounds like you took everything in stride which is so important, even more so when you’re travelling alone. Are you thinking about doing any other solo trips?

Sam | My Beauty Cloud

February 22, 2017 at 10:38 pm

I hope you get to try it soon! 🙂 I’m definitely looking forward to more trips, I wish I could squeeze it in the coming months. 🙂

• Jewel Clicks
    February 22, 2017 at 8:01 am

OMG! Jhanzeyyyy finally! Congrats on your first travel alone. 🙂 I agree that 12days is not enough. 🙂

February 22, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Thank you Jewel!!! So excited to travel more in the coming months. Need to plan it out tho!

• Christine
    February 22, 2017 at 9:49 am

That’s an amazing experience!!! I always tell my friends to travel alone at least once. I did my first solo trip in 2007 and I went to Europe for 14 days. It was one of the best experiences of my life and never regretted a second of it. I was afraid at times but it taught me how to be brave and to look after myself.

And I agree, you don’t have to earn a lot of money to travel. You just have to prioritize.

-Christine

February 22, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Glad to know that I am not alone believing that not having a big salary isn’t a hindrance to travel around the world. 🙂 I hope to see more countries next time!

• Tannya Aditya
    February 22, 2017 at 12:55 pm

actually, i can’t fathom people who are afraid to travel alone. come on. there’s so much to see in this world! don’t wait for people! it’s a great chance to rediscover yourself and just be. there’s a huge gap between alone and lonely. and i think society failed to differentiate both.

all said, i applaud you for taking such huge step. it was very good, right? you came back broke yet richer and travel to places at your own pace. i always want to go to vietnam even if it’s solely for the food!

February 22, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Vietnamese food was amazing! But I really liked Thai tho! 🙂

Thanks Tannya. I’m excited to travel more in the near future!

• renalexis01
    February 22, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Wow, I admire you so much, Jhanz! I think I wouldn’t be able to travel solo because I am such a scaredy cat! I love the idea of traveling alone, though, and I’ve thought about it. I just don’t think that I can do it, haha. I always want someone to be with me when I go to new places because I’m afraid of the what-ifs. Haha, I suck. But your travel though is so inspiring! It makes me really want to travel internationally, I hope I can soon! xx

February 22, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Thanks Rena! Maybe you can start small and just travel nearby. 🙂 And yes yes yes to international travel! Feels so nice to get exposed to seeing and experiencing other cultures ❤

• Andi
    February 23, 2017 at 3:23 am

I hope I can travel alone too. I am to scare to do it. 🙁

February 28, 2017 at 1:26 am

1It feels scary at first, but if you really want it, you can definitely survive it all! Let me know if you need help, I’m more than willing to talk you through things :p

• Andi
        February 28, 2017 at 1:54 am

I am still working. I want to quit work to pursue travelling but I won’t have income if I leave. 🙁

February 28, 2017 at 2:10 am

I don’t do it for the long haul! I’m also working!!! Hehe 🙂

• Andi
            February 28, 2017 at 2:27 am

Wow good for you. Can still work and do travel. I am kinda stressed hahaha. Or probably your work is not that stressful?

February 28, 2017 at 10:05 am

I started traveling a lot when I was still working with a TV network (it was the most stressful job that I took on and I was working 14-16 hrs a day). My current work isn’t so taxing, but it still have its ups and downs. 🙂 Don’t let work bug you down to pursue your dreams! Traveling is actually an amazing way to destress too!

• Dianne
    February 23, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I love your bravery! Also, I admire those guys who allow and support their girlfriends wholeheartedly to do things (even the craziest ones) on their own. We are independent women, we don’t deserve being limited to what they only allow us to do. I hear stories from other girls who wanted to explore and try out new things but they aren’t allowed to. It’s saddening.

I think parents today are more understanding than before. Glad they were so cool about your trip! Of course, we can never take away the worry our parents feel for us. The least we can do is to update them every now and then just like what you did! I’m so happy for you, hoping I can do this someday too!

February 28, 2017 at 1:27 am

Thanks Dianne! You can definitely do this, too! 🙂 And yes, yes, yes to supportive boyfriends! I don’t believe in guys limiting their girlfriends on doing the things that they want. <3

• Lady Auradelle
    February 25, 2017 at 12:39 am

I’m planning to travel solo this year to do #Seoulsearching haha and I still regret not getting the 6k roundtrip ticket I found in Cebupac huhu but I hope I can be brave like you when my time comes!

I’m just wondering how many leaves did you file for your trip? 🙂

February 28, 2017 at 1:29 am

Hi Auradelle! I filed 10 days in total. Don’t worry about the tickets, I bet there will be more cheap flights in the coming months!!!

• wheresnikaa
    February 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Wow you did great on your first solo travel! I hope I’ll get the courage any time this year, I have to tick off “solo traveling” on my bucketlist this year, although I’m not planning on taking an out of the country trip yet. I’m excited to read about how you got scammed in Vietnam. I hope it wasn’t that bad! 🙂
    BTW, I followed you on Instagram 🙂
    Nikaia | http://www.wheresnika.com

February 28, 2017 at 1:31 am

Thanks Nikaia for visiting!!! And good luck on planning your first solo travel. Actually, the scam is quite traumatizing. Hehe will write about it next time!!!

• Wandering Ella
    February 28, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Ahhh grabe! I couldn’t imagine that happening to me! Kung solo travel, kaya ko pa kung within PH lang. I don’t know if I can make it alone abroad. HAHAHA! Next week I’ll be on a solo trip to Bohol for 3 days and I’m excited and scared at the same time. Though I’ll be with other bloggers but technically I’m alone kasi ako lang taga Cebu. Huhuhu. I hope kakayanin ko to! LOL

March 1, 2017 at 10:18 am

Enjoy your trip, Ella! Ok lang yan, I bet you’ll end up being friends with the bloggers that you’re with. 🙂 tho first solo travel / first travel abroad ko to, hindi naman sya nakakatakot hehe